Prepared on September 13, 2023
|Department||Culture & Heritage|
|Reports To||Cultural Director|
|Type of Employment||Full-Time|
|Salary||$21 per hour|
Provides assistance to library patrons, to manage, develop and promote the Shoalwater Bay Indian Tribe Library. Under general direction and supervision oversee, plan and evaluate the day-to-day operations of the Shoalwater Bay Tribal Community Library.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Assist library patrons in using the library including responding to reference questions, advising patrons on reading material and reviewing the proper usage of library material and equipment.
- Maintain library collection and materials; read reviews in periodicals and newspapers; select and order books and audio-visual materials.
- Train and assist staff and volunteers in learning L4U Freedom Library Software SirsirsiDynix Staffweb Library system; interact with patrons in a positive, friendly, open, and welcoming manner.
- Select new library materials for the branch Library Collection, including overseeing donations of materials.
- Regularly provide general and specialized research and readers’ advisory service to the public at the public information desk and by telephone.
- Complete circulation requests, conduct outreach activities.
- Develop effective partnerships with organizations within the Shoalwater Community.
- Prepare materials for the Children’s Summer Reading Program.
- Order the materials, supplies, and prepare for Book Give Away program.
- Inform the public of the programs available and when events will occur.
- Monitor all expenditures charged to grants are allowable and reasonable.
- Monitor that all grants funded are used fully in a timely manner.
- Ongoing monitoring of grant budget and expenditures to ensure targets are met.
- Ongoing monitoring of grant program goals and monthly performance.
- Maintains grant records, both paper and electronic, including copies of reports filed, materials used for proposals and various grant documents.
- Maintain the grant paperwork for IMLS.
- Organize and set up meetings as required.
- Plan, organize and participate in library programs.
- Maintain cooperative relationships with teachers, tutors, students, and co-workers.
- Develop and maintain indexes for using reference material; set up databases, enter data into computer, catalog library material when necessary.
- Stay abreast of new trends and innovations in the field of library science and services.
- Register and assist patrons at the public access computer workstations.
- Attend to procedures involved in the opening and the closing and securing of the library facility.
- Provide the best possible customer service.
- Oversee and coordinate inter-library loans; ensure that borrowed material is returned to the lending institution.
- Manage and set up book displays, and library program displays.
- Repair books with broken bindings or ripped pages.
- Promote the enjoyment of reading.
- Coordinate and plan the development of long range/strategic library goals.
- Maintain professional appearance and behave in a manner appropriate to a public setting.
- Be courteous and responsive to the public, and co-workers.
- Ensure and maintain personal work area is professional in appearance, neat and orderly.
- Ensure and maintain circulation desk is professional in appearance, neat and orderly.
- Responsible to see that Library is picked up, neat and orderly at end of each day to ensure readiness for opening each day.
- Responsible for closing the library each day.
- Performs reliably, dependably with a good record of attendance, punctuality, flexibility, and time management.
- Maintain patron confidentiality.
- Cross-train Library Aides to ensure continuity of services in the absence of Librarian.
- Performs any additional reasonable roles and responsibilities as determined necessary by the Cultural Program Director.
This job position has no supervisory responsibilities.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Experience and Eduction
High school diploma or general education degree (GED); or two to three years related experience and/or training working in an information center; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Equivalent experience will be accepted in place of required education.
Customer Service - Manages difficult or emotional customer situations; Responds promptly to customer needs; Solicits customer feedback to improve service; Responds to requests for service and assistance; Meets commitments.
Interpersonal Skills - Focuses on solving conflict, not blaming; maintains confidentiality; listens to others without interrupting; keeps emotions under control; remains open to others' ideas and tries new things.
Oral Communication - Speaks clearly and persuasively in positive or negative situations; listens and gets clarification; responds well to questions; demonstrates group presentation skills; participates in meetings.
Written Communication - Writes clearly and informatively; edits work for spelling and grammar; varies writing style to meet needs; presents numerical data effectively; able to read and interpret written information.
Teamwork - Balances team and individual responsibilities; exhibits objectivity and openness to others' views; gives and welcomes feedback; contributes to building a positive team spirit; puts success of team above own interests; able to build morale and group commitments to goals and objectives; supports everyone's efforts to succeed.
Ethics - Treats people with respect; keeps commitments; inspires the trust of others; works with integrity and ethically; upholds organizational values.
Organizational Support - Follows policies and procedures; completes administrative tasks correctly and on time; supports organization's goals and values; benefits organization through outside activities; supports affirmative action and respects diversity.
Professionalism - Approaches others in a tactful manner; reacts well under pressure; treats others with respect and consideration regardless of their status or position; accepts responsibility for own actions; follows through on commitments.
Adaptability - Adapts to changes in the work environment; manages competing demands; changes approach or method to best fit the situation; able to deal with frequent change, delays, or unexpected events.
Attendance/Punctuality - Is consistently at work and on time; ensures work responsibilities are covered when absent; arrives at meetings and appointments on time.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit and stand and walk. The employee is frequently required to use hands to finger, handle, feel, reach with hands and arms; stoop, crouch, talk and hear.
The employee must occasionally life and/or move up to 10 pounds.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Common library environment.
This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee(s) incumbent in this position. Employee(s) will be required to follow any other job related instructions and to perform any other job related duties requested by any person authorized to give instructions or assignments.
The employment relationship with Shoalwater Bay Indian Tribe is voluntary; there is no specified length of employment. Accordingly, either the Shoalwater Bay Indian Tribe or the employee may terminate the employment relationship at will, with or without cause, at any time, so long as there is no violation of applicable federal or state law.
This document does not create an employment contract, implied or otherwise.
INDIAN PREFERENCE: Indian preference will be exercised in the hiring of this position in accordance with Shoalwater Bay Indian Tribe’s policy 181 within the Tribes Employee Handbook.
|Work Location||Work on Location Premises
Shoalwater Bay Indian Tribe Community Library
|Job Posting Valid Through||Valid until filled|
|Position Start Date||Immediately|